Sardar Singh is an Indian professional field hockey player. He is the current captain of the Indian national team and usually plays the center half position. Sardar became the youngest player to captain the Indian team when he led the side at the 2008 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup. He was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India, in 2015.
Sardar Singh was born to Gurnam Singh on 15th July 1986 in Santnagar in Rania Tehsil Sirsa District of Haryana. His brother Didar Singh also plays Hockey for Haryana team and Chandigarh Dynamos Team. Sardar Singh grew up in modest circumstances. His mother tried to convince him to leave hockey as the cost for hockey shoes was prohibitively expensive but it was his family’s guru, Jagjit Singh who helped Sardar Singh to get admitted to hockey academy in Ludhiana.
Sardar Singh made his debut for India in the junior team during India’s 2003-04 tour of Poland. He made his senior debut against‚ Pakistan‚ in 2006. He also plays for his native state of Haryana. He is a Deputy Superintendent Police Officer with the Haryana Police and plays for their team. Singh played for Chandigarh Dynamos in the inaugural season of the Premier Hockey League in 2005. He played for Hyderabad Sultansin the next three seasons till 2008, captaining the side.
In 2010, he was included in the 18-men FIH All-Star team. In the same year, Singh was signed by the Belgian club, KHC Leuven to play in the Belgian Hockey League. Following Singh’s impressive showing at the2013 Asia Cup, he was signed by the Dutch club, HC Bloemendaal as a replacement to Teun de Nooijer.
Hockey India League
Sardar Singh became the highest-paid marquee player at the inaugural Hockey India League auctions as the Delhi franchise bought him for USD 78,000 (Rs 42.49 lakh). The Delhi team was named Delhi Waveriders. He captained his side to a second-place finish in its inaugural season and was awarded the ‘Player of the Tournament.
- Awarded ‘Player of Tournament’ in the 2012 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, where India won the Bronze.
- He was adjudged the Player of the Tournament in the 2012 Summer Olympics Qualifiers, where India won the Gold.
- He was adjudged the Player of the Tournament in the 2010 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup, where India won the Gold.
- He participated in SAF Games at Colombo & 7th Junior Challenge Open Men’s at Poland 2006 and scored 2nd position.
- He participated in BDO Hockey Champions Challenge at Belgium 2007 and got Bronze Medal.
- He participated in Four Nations International Tournament at Germany and the team scored Bronze Medal.
- He also participated in Four Nations Hockey Tournament at Lahore and the team win Silver Medal.
- He participated in Hockey Asia Cup at Chennai 2007 and the team grabbed Gold Medal.